2179 South Tamiami Trail
Osprey, FL. 34229
Phone (941) 966-0222
Fax (941) 966-5100
"Rash" is a general term for a wide variety of skin conditions. A rash refers to a change that affects the skin and usually appears as a red patch or small bumps or blisters on the skin. The majority of rashes are harmless and can be treated effectively with over-the-counter anti-itch creams, antihistamines and moisturizing lotions.
Rashes can be a symptom for other skin problems. The most prevalent of these are:
• Atopic Dermatitis, the most common form of eczema.
• Bacterial Infections, such as impetigo.
• Contact Dermatitis, a type of eczema caused by coming into contact with an allergen.
• Chronic skin problems, such as acne, psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis.
• Fungal Infections, such as ringworm and yeast infection.
• Viral Infections, such as shingles.
A rash may be a sign of a more serious illness, such as Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, liver disease, kidney disease or some types of cancers. If you experience a rash that does not go away on its own after a few weeks, make an appointment to see one of our dermatologists to have it properly diagnosed and treated.